Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Day 7: San Cuero Beach

This morning I turned left and then right, and found a new path down the back hill that led to the bypass road. I headed west and several hundred meters past where Ave Revelocion meets the bypass road, there was a dirt road on my right heading in the general direction of the coast. Along the way I met some women who were staying at a yoga retreat further up the road, and one of them said this road would eventually reach the beach.

The road itself is mostly enclosed by trees and only every so often would I pass by high gates to a house. At one point a police car drove by and I never saw hi drive back, which gave me encouragement that this road did not dead end at some person's house.

As the day got hotter the hills got steeper until finally I could hear, and then get glimpses of the surf. I was brought to a dry river and some gates that perhaps once was private property, but now there were a couple of cars there.

I hiked through to the beach and spotted a few surfers whose car was parked on the beach. What a glorious expanse of white sand and rolling ocean. Just me an a few surfers. Walking west along the beach I came to a house on the rocks and below a small archway which I had to crawl through on my hands and knees to the next completely deserted beach. I knew the tide was still going out for a few more hours so I would not get cut off, so I parked myself under a palm tree and read my book for an hour or two, before it was time to head back.

The hike back was exceptionally hot, and I had only brought one bottle of water with me, but much of the road is shaded by a canopy of trees, making for a wonderful hike. Took about 2 hours.

Once I hit the bypass road I headed east, and this time took the left fork direcly into Sayulita, where I headed for Captian Cooks on the beach and a bucket of cerveza and some fish for dinner. Met Michael fro Ottawa again this time with his partner Michael. They told me that Captain Cooks automatically add the tip to the bill and don't tell you so that tourists will then add another tip on top!

No comments:

Post a Comment