Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Day 8: San Pancho

After crossing the main bridge, I headed east along the lower road that runs parallel to the beach. Yesterday Michael from Ottawa told me there was a path at the end that looped over the hill to the next beach., but cautioned not to swim there as there were rip tides.

This second beach seemed to stretch for ever, and after a while I felt like I was in an episode of LOST and was going to meet the survivors at the end. In fact the beach ends in a peninsular that has private property on it. A guy I met running on the beach said it would be ok to cross over to the next beach where I would find San Pancho. Talked to some workers on the property and finally figured out it was ok to cross the property for the next 5 days, after then the owners would be there. There is no other way to get to San Pancho along the beach and the land you have to cross is less than 100 meters that completely now blocks access to the town. The only other way is the long way around on the road via taxi.

Arrived at a beach restaurant flying a large Canadian flag. No real significance the waiter explained, someone just sent the the flag. Had beer and lunch there and then spend a couple of hours wandering the town. No tourists other than me, so it felt like a real Mexican town. Streets were also under construction like Sayulita.

Was horrified at one point to see an open electrical junction box at kid-height below an electric meter right on the sidewalk.
An open electrical connection at convenient kid height
Took about two very hot hours to hike back to Sayulita, walking in the edge of the surf most of the way to try to cool off.

My neighbors Lorna and Ken in the suite above are from Parksville, and in the morning they had invited me to go out for dinner with them. We decided on Las Margaritas, a place recommended by my Ottawa friend Michael. It is right by the bridge and has tables outside with thatched coverings. My Allery Alert card that I made up in Spanish has come in handy, as once again the waiter took it to show the chef to make sure he understood. Had mahi mahi  and roasted veggies that was very nicely presented. Oh and some Mojitos to wash it all down.

Great day. Great evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment